What We Do
Every minute of every day, women who do not have access to safe abortion care take great risks to end unintended pregnancies. Many lose their lives. Others suffer serious, often permanent injuries. Ipas is dedicated to saving women’s lives by preventing unsafe abortion. Working with local partners around the world, Ipas works to improve women’s access and right to safe, high-quality abortion care and reproductive health services.
- We advocate for safe abortion and the reform of restrictive laws that harm women.
- We engage women and men in their communities to expand their knowledge of reproductive health and rights.
- Our work is grounded in comprehensive abortion care, which includes postabortion care, counseling and family planning.
- We research the impact of unsafe abortion and document best abortion care practices and policies.
- We train doctors, nurses and non-physician providers in clinical and counseling skills for comprehensive abortion care.
- We work to ensure youth access to comprehensive reproductive health services and information, including contraception and safe abortion care.
Ipas works with health-care systems and providers to increase their skills and capacity to deliver safe abortion services. We work with nations’ ministries of health to interpret laws governing abortion in the broadest terms possible and to write standards and guidelines for abortion care accordingly to ensure access for as many women as possible. We educate health-care providers and administrators about the importance of providing safe abortion services as a matter of public health and human rights. And we work to bolster the number of available abortion providers by advocating for laws and policies that allow non-physician providers to perform abortion services and referrals; we also work to train these non-physician provider groups, such as certified nurse midwives and community health volunteers, and to support their work within the communities they serve.